Fairbanks Theft Defense Lawyer
Experienced Legal Defense in Fairbanks North Star Borough
Being convicted of a theft crime results in serious consequences and penalties. If you have been convicted of a theft crime, you can protect your rights by having an experienced attorney on your side. A Fairbanks theft defense lawyer can help you get the best possible results for your case.
Are you facing a theft charge in Alaska? Call Spaulding Law P.C. today at (907) 312-1300 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our theft defense attorney in Fairbanks!
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF THEFT CRIMES?
There are a variety of theft crimes that have different penalties depending on the severity of the crime. Below are the different types of theft crimes.
- Burglary: When the perpetrator trespasses into a building illegally to commit theft. This is an offense against possession and habitation.
- Robbery: When the perpetrator takes property that involves person-to-person interaction with force or intimidation.
- Misdemeanor & Felony Theft: When the perpetrator takes another person’s property or money over a statutorily defined value. Theft of property valued at $1,000 or more is a felony; lesser amounts is usually filed as a misdemeanor.
- Identity Theft: The deliberate use of another person’s identity. This is usually done to gain a financial advantage or obtain credit information.
- Shoplifting: The theft of merchandise from a retail store.
The penalties for theft crimes are listed below:
Fourth Degree Theft
There are four degrees of theft in Alaska, and each degree has different penalties—fourth-degree theft offenses are the lowest.
Theft of property valued at less than $50. This can result in imprisonment of up to 90 days, as well as fines up to $2,000. If a perpetrator has two or more conviction of theft-related offenses, penalties increase.
Third Degree Theft
Theft of property or services valued at $50 or greater, but less than $500. This can result in up to one year imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000.
Second Degree Theft
Theft of property valued at more than $500 but less than $25,000. This can result in incarceration for up to 5 years and a fine of up to $50,000.
First Degree Theft
Theft of property valued at more than $25,000. This can result in imprisonment for up to 10 years, plus a fine of up to $100,000.
Contact Our Theft Crimes Attorney Today
If you have been accused of a theft crime, contact an experienced theft defense lawyer as soon as possible. Your choices today will change the course of your future—let an attorney help you make the right calls. As a former prosecutor, I know what your case hinges on. I have handled hundreds of cases successfully with a decade of trial and courtroom experience, both in the interior and in the lower 48. If you want to protect your future, call Spaulding Law P.C. today.
Contact Spaulding Law P.C. today to schedule a consultation with our criminal defense attorney!